Vice President – Industrial Investments
Reports to: Executive Vice President of Development
Responsible for sourcing new Industrial development opportunities, underwriting the cost of development projects, securing entitlements and approvals, budgeting, design, coordinating financing requirements, and execution of construction management. The Vice President of Industrial will also be responsible for executing the marketing and leasing strategy for Wangard’s existing industrial real estate portfolio by overseeing the entire leasing process start to finish. Successful individuals will use a variety of networking channels – brokerage houses, financial institutions, government agencies, industry events, etc. to identify potential assets to secure for expansion of our portfolio. A good understanding of macro and micro economic situations that may impact our portfolio is critical to ensure we position our assets accordingly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify site locations,,primarily in Southeastern Wisconsin, that are aligned with Wangard’s development goals.
- Identify, evaluate, predict and execute a development/acquisition plan on any new assets.
- Underwrite an acquisition and exit strategy for any acquisitions/development opportunities that we secure and present to that Asset Manager for approval.
- Identify government programs that may be used to increase the viability of each project.
- Work with the Investors Relations team to identify potential equity partners on any new opportunities.
- Work with internal legal team to prepare offers for site locations and negotiate purchase contracts.
- Coordinate the due diligence activities with legal, property management, construction, architects, and outside support.
- Present development plans to municipal councils/officials and provide reports and/or data necessary to respond to entitlement requests and the permit process.
- Receive and disseminate critical information to stakeholders impacted by information including, but not limited to, approval schedules, site constraints, municipal/code issues, consultants’ reports and feedback.
- Manage design process to ensure compliance/waiver/approval by City, State and Federal approval, financing sustainability, and design standards.
- Drive the contractors and architects to enhance the value of each product.
- Review legal documents for structuring, risk management, and tax issues.
- Serve as Project Manager throughout the development and construction phase of the project.
- Work with Property Management team to ensure a smooth transition and closeout of the project.
- Coordinate, hire, and manage external brokers for Wangard’s existing Industrial portfolio.
- Screen incoming leasing inquiries and broker calls. Supply property information, show (tour) lease space, and quote lease rates. Qualify lease prospects. Track leasing prospects.
- Negotiate leases, renewals, and expansions. Help in the coordination in the preparation of lease documents.
- Provide annual budget leasing assumptions to Property Management team including TI and Commissions.
- Stay abreast of comparable properties, their pricing and competitive positions, to maximize occupancy and financial performance of the company properties relative to competition.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Marketing to ensure the portfolio has visibility with the local brokerage and prospect community to maximize property exposure to the marketplace.
- Coordinate marketing materials such as flyers, brochures, property signage and mailers and update as necessary.
Experience and Qualifications
- Skill set must span a range including technical, planning & organizing, negotiating, procurement, and interpersonal. Must be able to facilitate continuous improvement within the function and across the organization with effective communications and relationship-building.
- Ability to align organizational activities to strategic goals.
- Strong computer skills, including fluency in Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate concerns in a concise and timely manner.
- High degree of detail orientation and conscientiousness concerning the timely completion of assignments.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility of work product.
- High degree of credibility and confidentiality.
- Exceptional work ethic.
- Minimum of five years of Property Leasing and/or Development is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Real Estate Broker License is preferred.
Physical demands include the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. The employee will be regularly required to sit; stand; walk; reach using feet, legs, back, arms and hands; talk and hear. The employee may occasionally be required to climb. The employee will be required to work at a personal computer and talk on the phone for extended periods of time. Must possess the ability to detect auditory and/or visual alarms and be available to work extended/flexible hours and weekends, as needed.
This position is a full time salaried position. This position requires the availability to work some nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. This position also requires regular attendance and active participation/planning at all company functions and events.
Learning and Development
Maintain a commitment to ongoing professional development and career growth.
Wangard Partners is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.